Friday, December 18, 2009

"Thinking of Petie"


"Thinking of Petie"



Once you know Petie,
You won't forget him.
That little rascal.
Energy on four legs
Bright eyed
Always looking for fun
and games.
When I cared
for him when you went
shopping,
He would stare into space
like he couldn't believe it.
He would never come and sit
by me as that would be a
betrayal to you.
(I know he was thinking that)
One day when three year old
Devin opened the back door,
Out he went.
I tore after him and he was
so fast.
Suddenly I stepped in something
warm and squishy that popped up
between my bare toes.
If he hadn't stopped to go, I would
never have caught him.
If he would have gotten out of the
fence, I would have had a heart attack
because he would have run off
looking for his Mommy.
I should have grabbed a hose and
washed off my toes but instead, I
hobbled into the kitchen
carrying Petie and stepped
on a paper towel.
Then I hopped into the bathroom
and washed my foot in the tub.
I remember Devin and Petie
looking at me like, "What
is she doing now?" hahaha
Petie used to sit next to Jamie and move
his chewing toy closer and closer until
he "accidentally" bit Jamie's fingers.
Then he would look surprised.
like, "How did that happen?"
Minutes later he would do it again.
I think fingers were the perfect consistency
to cut his needle sharp teeth on.
When he was tired of waiting for you to
come home he would curl up and sleep
under a chair so the time would go faster.
I would tell him you would be home soon.
He would just sigh.
I remember the picture you sent of
him in his very own wading pool.
That must have felt good
during those hot summers.
I remember the time in our back
yard when he jumped up very high to get
a lower branch of our big maple tree.
He held on and slid down to the ground
and then tugged and tugged
thinking he could pull that forty year old
tree to the ground
Such determination.
Petie is still alive and going strong.
(he will be Twelve years old soon)
He has a good Mommy.
I treasure my memories of
this sweet little dog.


Above Petie ten years old.






Above Petie today

Kes©2009







No comments: