Thursday, November 4, 2010

A True Story~The Burnt Butt


A True Story~The Burnt Butt


When I was five, I lived in a big house

that was heated by a furnace with a heavy

metal grate on the living room floor,

that we all huddled over during the

coldest winter days.

The year was 1939.

One morning I woke up and felt so cold

even though Daddy had covered me with

extra blankets and some heavy coats.

Daddy would "bank" the fire at night, but it

never lasted until morning.

I could smell the fire burning in the furnace

at last, so I dug my way out of the heavy

covers and ran to the living room to get warm.

My little nightie had crawled up to my chest

as I got out of bed so I really felt cold.

I ran as fast as I could to the furnace, slipped

and fell as my foot touched the RED hot grate.

I landed on my bare butt right on that grate and got

"Branded". OH, it hurt so badly. I rolled off

and screamed. My Mom woke up and they

got the old Model T car started and took me to

the doctor. I could tell that my parents and the

doctor were holding back laughter when they looked

at my poor little branded butt. I didn't think it was

a bit funny! I had to sleep on my stomach for a week.

I approached the furnace grate slowly from that time

forward.


Kes©

2010

No comments: